Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: The Best Drummer?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member roto Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    O.k. I don't obviously want to strat a war, but generally the "greatest drummers" are usually refered to as Jazz or Fusion type drummers because it can be a little bit more technical. But all styles aside, who do you think is probably the greatest drummer ever? I know there is alot of geners and technics out there but I would probably have to go with Buddy Rich. I think if you put him side by side with today top drummers, vinnie, gadd, weck, ext.. he would blow them all away hands down!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    While the disease is terrible,
    the drummer is probably the
    greatest drummer and the bar
    is now at the highest level.

    [img]confused.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member roto Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    All I'm saying is Buddy Rich in his prime could blow anyone away todays music, yesterdays you name it! The man was unbelievable!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roto,

    Have you seen Virgil?

    Just asking... [img]cool.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Buddy never played badly but he has more rivals today than ever before.

    Once Buddy started wearing that gray toupee in the early 80s was when I thought he peaked, even better than the 50s and 60s era Rich. His ideas flowed more organically and he branched out onto some slim limbs, playing brushes, beating sticks together (the way drumlines do today) and he looked more fluid than ever. In all the videos I've seen of him he re-cycled a lot of his 50s/60s licks over and over again. He was beyond that in his twilight years and playing like a man possessed.

    Let me restate my point, Buddy was never lame or bad but there's a lot more 'fast guns in Dodge' now than ever before.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was fortunate enough to
    see Buddy a number of times.

    The command he had over
    the drums was incredible,
    like nothing I had ever
    seen, until I saw Virgil.

    Every drummer has to get up
    off his throne and they have
    to go out and see Virgil
    Donati play the drums.

    We're not talking about the
    music here. Buddy was NOT
    the most musical drummer in
    my book but he WAS the most
    facile. Facility is just that and
    if that's what we are talking
    about, again, you MUST go
    out to see Virgil.

    Do NOT pass GO. Go directly
    to Virgil and then let's chat
    about what you see. Don't
    listen to him. SEE HIM and
    prepare yourself for what
    will come.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 03, 2003 04:08 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member roto Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have seen Virgil, he was amazing but still no Buddy. Buddy to me is the king kind of Like Elvis there have been many great preformers in Rock out there but when it all comes down to it, there is only one king. And besides Buddy had a great attitude and really respected his bands!

    The only thing he could have used to put him ovr top would be a nice set of Roto toms. What do you think of Roto toms? I love them and won't play a kit without them, they just add something special to the mix.

    "to the great roto tommers"!

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 03, 2003 06:37 PM: Message edited by: roto Tom ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, when you're talking
    about "singing" and then
    saying "Elvis" in the same
    breath, I can see that you
    are comparing Buddy in a
    different way to Virgil,
    than I, which is often the
    case, when such comparisons
    come up. Buddy lovers are
    true to the grave.

    So, rather than try conv-
    ince you of what I believe
    is just as good a facility
    in Virgil, I'll move along
    and say...

    ...the best Roto-Tom-mer I
    ever heard was Ndugu, during
    the iconic days, with the
    Dukey-Stick himself! I find
    myself wishing he'd go back
    to that great sound. He's a
    fabulous drummer!

    As for Buddy respecting ANY-
    BODY, that (I believe), came
    very IN-frequently.

    Out of his mouth, over the
    years, I heard more negative
    things about others than I did
    positive but then, I would
    rather focus on his positive
    contributions to the drums,
    which are clearly at the
    highest level.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 03, 2003 07:02 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member PocketPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2002
    Posts
    1,462
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know about the best drummer, but roto Tom you gots to shed that pic!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Manos's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would just like to say that my name is Steve, and I like pizza.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •